Legal Requirements for Marriage

The General Register Office provides useful information about getting married in England and Wales at GOV.UK

Notice must be given in the district in which you have had residency for the previous 7 full days

Giving notice

It is a legal requirement for both parties to give notice at least 16 days before but no more than one year before a marriage. A fee of £35 each (£47 if subject to Home Office referral scheme from 2nd March 2015) is payable by card or cash.

Please note that from 2nd March 2015 the law will change and the minimum period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place will increase from 16 to 29 days. It is a good idea to give notice as soon as you are able to.

Making an appointment

If you live in Hampshire (not Southampton or Portsmouth)

You will need to contact us, tel 0300 555 1392

Please arrive on time or your appointment will be re-scheduled. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please let us know. Please also ensure that you bring all the correct documentation. If the relevant documents are not produced it may be necessary to re-schedule your appointment.

If you live in Southampton or Portsmouth

If you live outside Hampshire but are getting married in Hampshire, you must ensure that your marriage authorities are sent to the appropriate Hampshire registration office.

Foreign Nationals subject to immigration control

Notice of marriage, must be given to a ‘designated’ registration office, for Hampshire this would be Winchester Register Office, Aldershot Register Office or Eastleigh Register Office.

Urgent weddings (Registrar General’s Licence)

In the event of someone who is terminally ill wishing to marry, it is possible to do this in a short time scale. Contact your local registration office on tel 0300 555 1392.

Information courtesy of